WHO ARE WE

We are Selam and Andiy. After Natnael passed away we wanted to continue his task of teaching children about their country of origin and helping families to find their stories.
This blog is to teach the children that go abroad something about their birth country and to give to the adoptive parents a way to search the biological family of their child.
Contact us at:

Is important what you tell your children about themselves.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

DAILY WORDS TO START

As I promise I'll continue time to time to teach some words that can be useful specially in the first days of adoption and also to keep something of the language of the birth country of your children.

The words I propose today are simple words for the daily life that can be used if the child is over one year:

WORD                MEANING
dehna neh?          are you fine (for boy)
dehna nesh?        are you fine (for girl)
dehna nachiw       are you fine (for plural)

na                       come (boy)
ney                      come (girl)
heed                    go ( boy)
hiji                       Go (girl)
tekemet              sit down (boy)
tekemechi           sit down (girl)
bela                    eat (boy)
bey                     eat (girl)
setegn                 give me (boy)
sechign               give me ( girl)
enka                   take it ( boy)
enki                    take it ( girl)

yecarta               excuse me
amesegenalew    thank you
aznalew              I'm sorry

I hope sincerely you can use some of the words with your children in the daily life even if they are so few!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting these. We adopted our two-year-old son this past summer and we are still using a lot of Amharic words with him in addition to English. I've learned a few I didn't know! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete